We are excited to announce the implementation of CalNet 2-Step verification, now available to faculty and staff. CalNet 2-Step verification provides an important, additional layer of protection against the theft of your CalNet credentials. This extra layer is like adding an alarm system to protect your home beyond just your front door key. You have likely experienced 2-step verification with your other accounts like online banking or your personal Google login experience.
The recent Equifax security breach underscores the importance of securing our campus systems. It is crucial that we, as UC Berkeley employees, take personal responsibility to protect the institutional data we work with everyday. The CalNet 2-Step not only protects our campus systems, it also protects your personal data such as your payroll information.
Why should I do the CalNet 2-Step?
- It ensures you're the only person accessing your account.
- You'll be adding another layer of security (other than just your password).
- Doing the CalNet 2-Step follows cyber-security best practice.
- You'll be doing your part to protect institutional data at UC Berkeley.
- For more information, visit the CalNet 2-Step website.
Sign Up Today
- Have your device ready - you can use your smart phone, cell phone, or tablet.
- Login to the CalNet Account Manager, then click Manage 2-Step Verification from the left menu.
- Follow these steps to register your device.
Have questions, need help, or have a comment about CalNet 2-Step? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continuous Improvement to Protect Campus
In addition to launching 2-step verification, in the coming months we will begin rolling out network segmentation that will deploy next generation firewall technology for the campus. Both of these initiatives are strategically important to protecting our campus and we thank you for doing your part in these efforts.
Larry Conrad, Associate Vice Chancellor for IT and Chief Information Officer
Matt Wolf, Chief Information Security Officer
If you are a manager who supervises UC Berkeley employees without email access, please circulate this information to all.