Dear Campus Community:
On Friday, Oct. 13, Cal will host Washington State in an ESPN-televised football game from California Memorial Stadium, and this note is intended to provide information on how traffic will be impacted and managed during the day.
Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. The late start should lessen the overlap between the evening commute and fans arriving for the game, and thus ease the transition from a campus workday to a gameday atmosphere.
A higher-than-normal number of pedestrians and automobiles for a Friday is anticipated in and around the campus, and everyone, including fans and permit holders, is encouraged to use public transportation or carpool to reduce the impact on neighborhoods that are adjacent to the stadium and campus. The steps we are taking to minimize impacts on the campus and community mirror how the Friday night game from 2016 was handled.
- All campus parking permits will be honored during normal business hours before lots switch to football parking at 5:30 p.m. Campus permit holders will not be cited if vehicles remain in a campus lot after 5:30. This process will be similar to how basketball gamedays are handled during the winter.
- All normal football gameday traffic control, which is managed by the UC Police Department and Berkeley Police, will be in place, including road closures near Memorial Stadium. Of note for those who work in Strawberry Canyon east of the stadium, Centennial Drive at Rim Way will close at 4:30 p.m. and access to the lower campus after that time will not be available.
- Gayley between Hearst and Bancroft will close at 5:30 p.m., and those who require access for academic or work-related reasons will be allowed on southbound Gayley from Hearst to the Haas School of Business.
- Double fines will be in place for restricted street parking. Residents and students should pay special attention to the no parking signs posted in the area.
- Regular campus shuttle routes will remain in effect, although the Hill shuttle will be re-routed once the stadium gates open at 5:30 p.m. Regular football gameday shuttle routes will begin at 5:30, with additional shuttles added from the Downtown Berkeley BART station.
- Day-of-game parking permits for the football game will be sold at the Genetics and Lower Hearst lots.
- More information on Cal football gamedays can be found online at CalBears.com/gameday.
Thank you for your patience and support as we host this national broadcast.
If you are a manager who supervises UC Berkeley employees without email access, please circulate this information to all.