February 6, 2018
Dear campus community,
I am pleased to announce the call for nominations for the annual Chancellor’s Awards for Public Service, recognizing students, staff, and faculty for their individual and collective efforts to benefit others locally and globally.
Please take time to submit nominations by March 2, 2018 at 5 p.m. for the following categories:
- Chancellor’s Awards for Civic Engagement: These four public service awards honor the work of an undergraduate student, a graduate student, a student group, and a staff member. In addition, one student nominated in this category will be selected to receive the Mather Good Citizen Award, which recognizes a graduating senior for their service.
- Chancellor’s Award for Research in the Public Interest: This award honors research by faculty that addresses critical needs and issues affecting local, state, national, or global communities.
- Chancellor’s Award for Community Engaged Teaching: This award honors leadership by faculty in developing or teaching community-based courses or in engaging students in community-based research.
- Chancellor’s Award for Campus-Community Partnership: This award honors programs or projects that improve the quality of life in our community.
- Robert J. and Mary Catherine Birgeneau Recognition Award for Service to Undocumented Students: This award honors undocumented undergraduate and graduate students, or student allies, who have performed exemplary service pertaining to undocumented communities.
- Robert J. and Mary Catherine Birgeneau Recognition Award for Service to Underrepresented Students: This award honors underrepresented undergraduate and graduate students, or student allies, who have performed exemplary service pertaining to underrepresented communities of color.
The nomination forms for the Chancellor’s Awards are here. The nomination forms for the Birgeneau Awards are here. Please view the Public Service Awards website here.
Recipients will be honored at a public ceremony on Monday, April 30 at 3:00 followed by a reception. The event will be held at International House. I welcome you to join us to celebrate these important awards.
Thank you for your assistance in recognizing those who have made significant contributions through public service.
Carol T. Christ
If you are a manager who supervises UC Berkeley employees without email access, please circulate this information to all.